Recipe: Massaman Thai Curry from Head Chef Sanguan Parr at Nipa Thai
Sanguan Parr, head chef at Nipa Thai in London, has shared her recipe for Massaman Gai—Massaman Thai Curry (Yellow Chicken Curry). A popular but classic recipe from the Southern region of Thailand, the curry is simple to make but guaranteed to impress.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp Massaman curry paste
- 600ml coconut Milk
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 2 tbsp roasted peanuts
- 5 small onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp palm sugar
- 3 tbsp tamarind juice
- 3 bay leaves
- 5 roasted cardamom pods
- 1 piece roasted cinnamon, 1cm long
- Cut the chicken into chunks, around 2in in length.
- In a wok, heat the vegetable oil, curry paste and 200ml of coconut milk. Keep stirring over a low heat until fragrant.
- Add the chicken to the wok, turning frequently so all the meat is covered in sauce.
- Pour in the remaining 400ml of coconut milk and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the cubed potatoes, roasted peanuts, onions, fish sauce, palm sugar, tamarind juice, bay leaves, cardamom pods and cinnamon. Keep over a low heat and simmer until all the ingredients are tender.
- Remove from the heat and serve with steamed white rice.
Nipa Thai, Royal Lancaster London, Lancaster Terrace, London W2 2TY, www.niparestaurant.co.uk
See also: Souffléed Mash Recipe