Sanguan Parr, head chef at Nipa Thai in London, has shared her recipe for Massaman Gai—Massaman Thai Curry (Yellow Chicken Curry). A popular but classic recipe from the Southern region of Thailand, the curry is simple to make but guaranteed to impress.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp Massaman curry paste
- 600ml coconut Milk
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 2 tbsp roasted peanuts
- 5 small onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp palm sugar
- 3 tbsp tamarind juice
- 3 bay leaves
- 5 roasted cardamom pods
- 1 piece roasted cinnamon, 1cm long
- Cut the chicken into chunks, around 2in in length.
- In a wok, heat the vegetable oil, curry paste and 200ml of coconut milk. Keep stirring over a low heat until fragrant.
- Add the chicken to the wok, turning frequently so all the meat is covered in sauce.
- Pour in the remaining 400ml of coconut milk and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the cubed potatoes, roasted peanuts, onions, fish sauce, palm sugar, tamarind juice, bay leaves, cardamom pods and cinnamon. Keep over a low heat and simmer until all the ingredients are tender.
- Remove from the heat and serve with steamed white rice.
Nipa Thai, Royal Lancaster London, Lancaster Terrace, London W2 2TY, www.niparestaurant.co.uk
See also: Souffléed Mash Recipe